Hello everybody! Hope you are having a good day!
Today I am sharing the project I have built for the PlanetScale X Hashnode hackathon.
😎 About Evolve
Investing is important, if not critical, to make your money work for you. You work hard for your money and your money should work hard for you. Investing is how you take charge of your financial security. It allows you to grow your wealth but also generates an additional income stream if needed ahead of retirement. So, investment portfolio management is one of the most important tasks for any investor.
Evolve is an online investment portfolio management system where users can keep track of all the assets that they have invested in and how well their assets are performing. It also provides the users with information regarding various markets like the stock market, crypto market, etc. This can be a more affordable alternative to hiring portfolio managers at higher costs. Also Evolve is super responsive, which means that you can use it on any device without any hassle.
Portfolio managers are people who perform portfolio management for their clients but they need to be paid a good amount of money. And for small and medium-sized portfolios, management can be done easily by the investor itself. All that the investors need are a platform where they can manage all of their assets and make further investment decisions based on insights from the platform as well as their own. This is the exact problem that Evolve is trying to solve and the inspiration behind Evolve.
Evolve is the simplest and the most user-friendly portfolio manager that you would have ever come across.
Here's what you can do with Evolve:
- Add, Edit, and Delete your stocks, cryptos, bonds, and other assets
- Search for assets (such as stocks, crypto, indices, etc.) using Advanced Charts
- Get overviews of different markets around the world
- Write down notes on your financial goals, stock picks, etc.
There is still a lot more work to do, but I am really happy with the progress that I have made within a month of starting this project.
⚙️ Tech stack
- Redux-toolkit for state management
- TailwindCSS for styling and responsiveness
- PlanetScale for MySQL Database - Literally the easiest one to set up among all the mentioned. Kudos to PlanetScale for developing such an amazing platform🔥!
- PHP for backend (hosted using Azure App Service)
- NodeJS for a few APIs (hosted using Heroku)
- Yahoo finance for real-time stock and crypto prices
- TradingView for various charts
- Vercel (for cloud deployment)
👌 Code quality and other good practices
- Sign-in and Register in Evolve make use of JWT tokens, thereby enhancing security and trust.
Evolve is structured in such a way that without proper authorization, users won't be allowed to access any restricted resources.
Evolve is also SEO friendly and performs amazingly well in Lighthouse stats.
- To ensure consistent formatting throughout the code base, the code was formatted using prettier via the VS code extension.
🚀 Future plans
I am planning to add a lot of amazing features to make Evolve even better.
Some potential future features include:
- Support for other markets and currencies (Currently supports only USD and the US stock market)
- Option to SELL assets (So that users can also keep track of the assets they have sold)
- Add more finance-related widgets (For detailed updates and insights)
- Add email verification and password strength checker to register page
- Add finance news section and much more...
🔗 Useful Links
Thanks to PlanetScale and Hashnode for hosting this amazing hackathon.
Let me know what you think about Evolve in the comments below. Thanks for reading this article and I hope you have an amazing day!
Also, you can check out my portfolio here!